What security licencing should a security system installer have?
Having a security license is mandatory for a business or individual providing security services in Queensland. The Queensland government oversees and provides the relevant security firm licenses to companies in this state. Security system installers need licenses to install, repair, service or maintain:
- Monitoring systems - security cameras and surveillance systems
- Audio/video recording systems
- Safes or vaults
- Electromagnetic, biometric or electric access control devices
- Motion, Infrared, Microwave or Contact Detectors
When do you need a Security License?
- If you are an individual, corporation, or partnership providing security services.
- If you have subcontractors working under you that provide security services and you receive money for their work.
- If you supply staff to provide security services.
- All the staff members supplied by the security firm need to hold the license.
When you DO NOT need a security license?
- If you are a sole trader and carry out the security tasks yourself.
- If you have employed security staff to protect your business or residence.
There are no qualifications to obtain the license and no training is required to hold the license.
Eligibility criteria to obtain a security license in Australia
- The individual or the organization needs to be a member of the ASIAL (Australian Security Industry Association Ltd)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Not be a threat to the safety of the public
- If you have been convicted of a disqualifying offence in the last 10 years you won’t be eligible to obtain a security license.
Class 1 and Class 2 Security License
Security firms that supply bodyguards, private investigators, crowd controllers, cash-in-transit security officers, unarmed security officers, monitoring security officers, and dog patrol security officers.
Security advisers and equipment installers, locksmiths
Depending on the service you provide you can apply for Class 1 or Class 2 or a combined license.
If you are having a security system installed in your home by a professional, ask your security installer for their license. Having the security system installed by a licensed professional will ensure your house is covered in case of any insurance claim. It will also guarantee you peace of mind knowing your home is safe.
How to check the Security License
You can check the security license of a firm by using this free resource from Queensland Government website here - qld.gov.au.
ASIAL is the national peak body for security organisations and professionals in Australia. They represent different sectors of the industry like electronic, manpower, physical security. The benefits of being a member of ASIAL are immense as they develop the code of conduct for industry, increase professionalism within the industry, and represent the interests of the individual at State/Federal level.
Trusted Local Security Specialists Brisbane
Alltronics Security and Electrical holds a Class 1 and Class 2 License and our license number is 4226262. Hiring a licensed professional will ensure your security systems are installed correctly the first time! For more information, contact us on 07 3353 3248.
- Alarm systems: Sensors vs Motion detectors
- Can I have a security alarm without a landline?
- Can I have a security system in a house with pets?
- How a security system can affect insurance costs
- How does alarm monitoring work?
- How does home security monitoring work?
- Professional Monitoring
- Self Monitoring
- Home Alarm Systems
- Duress Alarms
- Personal Alarms for Seniors
- Battery Replacements
- Alarm Systems Help
- Service Areas
Alltronic Security and Electrical Reviews